Last Updated Oct 12, 2020
This unit will introduce students to the issue of concussions. Students will try to resolve this problem by ultimately designing a new helmet. Activities throughout will explain the physics of collisions and how materials can reduce concussion events.
Looking for the mobile laboratory version of It’s All in Your Head?
Students will know
- Newton’s three laws of motion
- The relationship between force, time, mass, and change in velocity
Students will understand
- How the application of force to the head can cause trauma
- How helmet materials reduce the chances of concussions.
Students will be able to
- Complete the engineering design process to protect an egg from a fall
- Analyze data (including force, velocity, acceleration, and time) to determine the most protective material for a collision.
- Analyze data by creating tables and graphs.
Next Generation Science Standards Connections
MS-PS2-1: Apply Newton’s Third Law to design a solution to a problem involving the motion of two colliding objects.