Are candies like M&Ms© and Skittles© coated with the same dye? Use paper chromatography to separate the dyes and determine if they are the same and if a dye is made of a mixture of dyes!
Interested in more at-home science activities? Check out our library of 30+ videos here!
Students will know
- Different materials have different properties
- Attraction to water is a material property
Students will understand
- Dyes can be made of one or more colored materials
- Similar colors can be created with different colored materials
Students will be able to
- Run paper chromatography with colored candies and make observations about the results
Next Generation Science Standards Connections
5-PS1-3: Make observations and measurements to identify materials based on their properties.