MdBio Foundation, Prince George’s Community College, Prince George’s County Public Schools and NASA will host ATLAS November 7, 2015 as part of the inaugural Maryland STEM Festival. This is also the first time the program has been hosted at a community college.
The ATLAS symposium is for high school juniors/seniors and college undergraduates. ATLAS provides an important space for students to learn about the exciting career opportunities in STEM. The ATLAS event serves as a first step to preparing and encouraging students to further pursue their interest in STEM. Through this event, students will explore high-paying STEM careers in engineering, cybersecurity, life science, information technology and more.
This high energy, engaging program for students interested in STEM careers, and their parents, includes:
- Keynote Address | VIP Reception
- College and Career Expo | Meet and Greet
- STEM Career + Leadership Panel | Multilingual Parent Information Session
- Raffles, Internship & Scholarships Opportunities, and Connections with Potential Mentors
During the expo, representatives and recruiters from colleges, industry and other organizations share materials that will inform students about college and career advancement opportunities or highlight organization programs or products. We are also seeking STEM professionals to share their personal work or research via poster (or other visual, demonstration, etc.). The Meet and Greet is like an informal poster session that allows STEM professionals to speak with ATLAS participants one-on-one or in small groups. Graduate students and young professionals are particularly encouraged to participate.
There is still space for organization to exhibit and young professionals to present posters or hands on experiences for students. Contact MdBio Foundation for details.
Past keynote speakers include:
- Stephanie C. Hill, Lockheed Martin
- Bahija Jalal, MedImmune/AstraZeneca
- William “Brit” Kirwan, University System of Maryland
- Wallace D. Loh, University of Maryland
- Maria Martinez, Respira Inc.
- Timothy B. Warner, Montgomery Co Public Schools
- Eileen Whelan, WJLA7& News Channel 8
- Vennard Wright, Prince George’s County
- U.S. Congressman John Delaney
- U.S. Congresswoman Donna F. Edwards
- U.S. Congressman Chris Van Hollen
- Rushern L. Baker III, Prince George’s County Executive
- Ike Leggett, Montgomery County Executive