The NABT/BSCS Biology Teacher Academy presented in partnership with HHMI Biointeractive will focus on promoting rigor in high-school biology and AP classes through meaningful classroom experiences and pedagogical strategies that engage students in scientific inquiry. The workshop is a collaborative endeavor of NABT Academy Biology Teacher-Leaders and Virginia Wesleyan College (VWC) faculty. Experienced AP Teacher-Leaders will share teaching and learning processes developed through active participation in training provided by the National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) and the Biological Sciences Curriculum Study (BSCS).
Workshop attendees will build common experiences through:
- Lab work (e.g., protein electrophoresis);
- Metacognition activities (“through the teacher lens”)
- Curriculum development focusing on content coherence
- Experience with science practices
- Work on the college’s Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
The program will be held July 12-17, 2015 at Virginia Wesleyan College in Norfolk, Virginia. Learn more at http://bit.ly/1Jcj03p.